Please ignore :)

I responded to the wrong thread.

From:   Dan Dumont/Westford/IBM@Lotus
To:     dev@shindig.apache.org,
Date:   12/16/2011 11:32 AM
Subject:        RE: CommonContainer token refresh changes

ddum...@gmail.com on gtalk

From:   "Ciancetta, Jesse E." <jc...@mitre.org>
To:     "dev@shindig.apache.org" <dev@shindig.apache.org>,
Date:   12/16/2011 09:57 AM

<snip>

>Here is a quick and simplified rundown of our rendering process:
>
>-- An HTTP request comes in to render a given page for a given user
>-- We fetch their page from the DB and then enumerate all of the gadgets
on
>the page -- for each gadget we:
>++++ Mint a security token
>++++ Make a server-side call to shindig to fetch the gadget metadata
>-- We then embed all of the tokens/metadata into the HTTP response we
>send down to the client
>-- On the client side we initialize a common container object
>-- Push the pre-generated tokens and pre-fetched metadata into the
>container instance
>-- Enumerate each gadget and ask common container to render it
>-- Since common container already has a gadget token and metadata there
is
>no need for any XHR calls back to shindig to fetch anything (and
therefore no
>need for a container token)
>
>For gadget token refresh the XHR will be made from the container page
back
>to the container application (which is all same domain XHR) and since the

user
>is logged into the container application we know who they are and can
>generate updated security tokens for them.

It would be helpful for me to have a rough understanding of the rendering
process others have in place as I work through the changes needed for
getting moduleId's properly set in security tokens.  Would those using
common container mind describing at a high level what their gadget
rendering process is (similar to what I've done above for Rave)?

Also -- do other implementer's have the notion of a persistent gadget
"instance" ID?  I'm pretty sure iGoogle does based on what I've seen in
firebug but I'm not sure about others...

For example - in Rave a gadget "instance" is an instance of a specific
gadget for a specific user.  To create that instance the user adds a
gadget to their page -- and then no matter what the user does with that
gadget from that point forward (like moving it to a different spot on the
page, moving it to a different page entirely, ...) the ID of that gadget
instance remains the same.  That gadget instance ID is what we're using
for the moduleId property in our security tokens.