From:   "Ciancetta, Jesse E." <jc...@mitre.org>
To:     "dev@shindig.apache.org" <dev@shindig.apache.org>,
Date:   01/27/2012 07:57
Subject:        RE: NOTICE and LICENSE files

I've been working with Ate on the Rave project since its inception and
personally have 100% trust in his opinions and recommendations on these
types of matters (and many other matters as well).  Ate has been helping
Rave work though these same type of issues from the start and he's been
active on the general@ list in many discussions regarding NOTICE and
LICENSE files with other ASF'ers as well.

And aside from my interactions with Ate on the Rave project I also know
that he's been involved with the ASF for quite a long time (he's an ASF
member, commiter on multiple projects, Incubator PMC member, mentor to
multiple projects, ...) so he's definitely drawing from a good wealth of
experience here.

So my vote would be to take Ate's recommendations and go ahead and
implement them.  And if he's willing to submit patches for the changes
then all the better.

I think one JIRA issue would be sufficient -- if no one objects I can go
ahead and create a ticket for it later today.

Shindig
> [...]
>notices from the NOTICE file.
>
>NB: for swfobject its LICENSE *is* included in the /features/LICENSE
file,

>however the root /LICENSE file should at least have it too (or only, see
>5)
>further below) for the full source release distribution (as well in the
>project
>[tag] svn root folder itself as that is to be considered also a
>'distribution').
>
>e. There is a notice for including OpenAjax provided software. However,
>the
>OpenAjax software nor its foundation (website) doesn't require to provide
>notice. Their license is Apache 2.0 based, which does require attributing
>notice, *if* there is notice. But as there isn't any (not in the code nor
>anywhere specified on their website), Shindig doesn't need to attribute
>them
>either. Suggestion: remove the notice for OpenAjax.
>NB: IMO the /extras/NOTICE file therefore isn't needed either.
>
>f. The extras/src/main/javascript/features-extras/wave/*.js files all
>still have
>a "Copyright 2010 Google Inc." header. It seems to me for these files the
>following rule is applicable:
>   http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#header-existingcopyright
>Suggestion: A Google employee like Paul should do this and then move the
>copyright statement to the NOTICE file.
>
>g. The /features/NOTICE file contains an additional attribution for "sha
1
>JS
>impl" developed by Google Inc. This attribution however is missing from
>the root
>/NOTICE file. See also 5) further below.
>

>2) file /LICENSE
>================
>a. See also 1.c) above. There is a license appended for the OpenSocial
>Javascript API. Question: is that still valid/needed/applicable?
>
>b. See also 1.d) above. the swfobject and OAuth MIT used license is
>missing.
>
>c. The /content/editor/CodeMirror-0.8/LICENSE file should be appended
>here.
>

>3) file /extras/NOTICE
>======================
>See also 1.e) above. IMO this file can be removed. And it isn't used
>anyway,
>e.g. not embedded in a build artifact either.
>

>4) module extras build artifacts
>================================
>See also 1.f) above. If/when the "Copyright 2010 Google Inc." copyright
>headers
>are moved from the wave/*.js files to a NOTICE file, *then* that
>attribution
>will also be required to be packaged in the build artifacts for the
extras
>module.
>
>Suggestion (if/when applicable in this case): make use of
>appended-resources
>which will be automatically processed by the
maven-remote-resources-plugin
>*append* additional NOTICE (and/or LICENSE) fragments to the
automatically

>injected NOTICE/LICENSE files. This mechanism is common practice by many
>maven
>based projects and probably the easiest to maintain extra notices and
>licenses
>needed for build artifacts.
>
>For an example of how to use this, see:
>
>https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/rave/trunk/rave-
>shindig/src/main/appended-resources
>

>Note: the META-INF/NOTICE fragment under the above location itself is
>*not*
>(yet) a proper example. I'm in the process of cleaning that one up
>(probably
>removing many/most of those attributions), similar to and even related to
>this
>email itself ;)
>

>5) module features
>==================
>a. See also 1.d) and 1.g) above: the /features/LICENSE and
>/features/NOTICE
>files contain fragments which should be moved to the root /LICENSE and
>/NOTICE
>files.
>
>b. In addition, these files probably better be removed and be replaced by
>using
>LICENSE and NOTICE fragment files under appended-resources, see 4) above.
>This
>will reduce the maintenance (NOTICE copyright statement will
automatically
>be
>adjusted for the proper year(s) by maven-remote-resources-plugin for
>instance).
>
>When doing this, the current maven build resources configuration which
>*only*
>adds the /features/NOTICE file to the build artifacts can/should be
>removed.
>
>c. Doing 5.b) above then also will fix adding missing 3rd party LICENSEs
>(like
>for MIT) in the build artifacts. As it is right now, the features
>artifacts are
>not ASF release compliant because of this...
>
>d. Finally see also other remarks under 1) above for several of the
NOTICE

>attributes which might not be needed or are duplicated (ASF attribution).
>

>6) module java
>a. See comments above for 1) and 5).
>AFAIK the /java/LICENSE and /java/NOTICE files are only used (included)
by