Hi Jean,

Indeed we would like to use component instances as you outline. So far, I
have not found a way to derive the Kafka server id from the Slider
configuration. I checked on my cluster and I find 2 containers using the
same app_container_tag in the logs:

u'componentName': u'BROKER1',
 u'configurations': {u'BROKER-COMMON': {u'broker.id': u'1',
                                        u'zookeeper.connect':
u'node26:2181,node27:2181,node28:2181'},
                     u'BROKER0': {u'broker.id': u'0'},
                     u'BROKER1': {u'broker.id': u'1'},
                     u'global': {u'app_container_id': u'container
_1430350563654_0416_01_000003',
                                 u'app_container_tag': u'1',

--------------------

u'componentName': u'BROKER0',
 u'configurations': {u'BROKER-COMMON': {u'broker.id': u'0',
                                        u'zookeeper.connect':
u'node26:2181,node27:2181,node28:2181'},
                     u'BROKER0': {u'broker.id': u'0'},
                     u'BROKER1': {u'broker.id': u'1'},
                     u'global': {u'app_container_id': u'container
_1430350563654_0416_01_000009',
                                 u'app_container_tag': u'1',

Any other ideas how to obtain the component instance index that works
across container failures?

Thanks,
Thomas