There's a remark on the pull request about this, with more details than in
this mail, but basically:

* Other apps seem to regenerate the config files directly through a
template rather than try to do a merge (you seem to be doing a SED on
defined properties, however it does not work here, maybe a python version
issue ?), so that's what I did for server.properties.

Where I come from we use Chef, and redefine all configuration files
anyways, so I was thinking of duplicating a standard configuration file in
the appConfig-default.json (kind of duplicated from the tarball -- again
all other packaged apps are doing it like this), and use Chef to regenerate
all the appConfig.json in order to deploy infrastructure Kafka (and let
users do whatever they wish based on the defaults).
​
Kind regards,
JB