Hi,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org> wrote:
> I've looked at our commons testing again, and personally I'm not sure if
> we need most of the stuff anyway :)
>
> Let's have a look at the packages:
> 1. o.a.s.adapter.internal
>
> Helper stuff if you're using adapter managers. If this has some common
> interest we could move this to the sling testing module.

Did you check if it's currently used somewhere?
If not, ok to remove it.

> 2. o.a.s.c.testing.integration
> Some http stuff which is only of interest for integration testing.
> Doesn't really hurt, but there is rarely interest in plain junit tests.

I created the commons/testing module to support our integration test
modules and hopefully help people do integration testing, so those
classes do belong somewhere.

If you want to move them to a separate integration-testing module I'm
fine with that, but personally I don't care much about the distinction
between "pure" JUnit testing and integration testing.

> ...3. o.a.s.c.testing.jcr
> Some Mock classes for JCR and the RepositoryUtil - I think this class is
> great for doing JCR based tests - however I think this is something
> Jackrabbit should provide us!..

If you want to donate/move that to Jackrabbit I'm fine.

> In addition we currently have a dependency to Sling API here, so we have
> to split it anyway.

right

> 4. o.a.s.c.testing.osgi
> Just mocks for some OSGi interfaces - I see no need for these as mock
> libs like jmock or easymock can be used instead.

I assume those classes are used in existing code, did you check the
impact on removing them?

> 5. o.a.s.c.testing.sling
> Mocks for some sling apis - again, I see no need for explicit mock classes.

Same as above

> 6. o.a.s.c.testing.util
> A single class with a single String method that replaces "\n" with a
> dot. Don't think that this is of general use - it is only used in the
> jst bundle atm, so we should rather move it there.

Right, if it's only used there that makes sense.

> As a conclusion I think we don't need a commons testing module, given
> the fact that jackrabbit would provide us a repository util class that
> can easily be used for testing - I think this makes sense to be provided
> by Jackrabbit for all possible clients of Jackrabbit not just sling.

I want the integration testing helpers to stay, but as indicated I'm
not against changing the name of the module that supplies them.

> The relevant stuff dealing with Sling specific test helpers can then be
> moved into the new module.

Agreed.

-Bertrand