I'm a little late to this thread but I wanted to bring this up anyway. A while
back when I first was learning Sling I created an extended explorer based on
the original version in the contrib. section. My explorer uses jQuery and
accomplished most of the items of the current jQuery explorer. Before an
extended set of work started on enhancements I wanted to donate this codebase
in case it's of any use in this effort. I would love to see a mature explorer
ship as a part of Sling, and any work I can do to help that, I will do.

I created SLING-1653 [1] with the codebase in it.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-1653