Thanks again Eric and Bertand for the feedback. After more wrangling the
osgi wiring, a basic test passed.

https://github.com/apache/sling-whiteboard/blob/SLING-9397/improve-test-coverage/saml-handler/src/test/java/org/apache/sling/auth/saml2/impl/SamlHandlerIT.java

But to write useful tests, I need a reference to my AuthenticationHandler
service

@Inject
@Filter(value = "(authtype=SAML2)")
protected AuthenticationHandler samlHandler;

This seems to timeout.
[INFO] Running org.apache.sling.auth.saml2.impl.SamlHandlerIT
[ERROR] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
18.081 s <<< FAILURE! - in org.apache.sling.auth.saml2.impl.SamlHandlerIT
[ERROR] org.apache.sling.auth.saml2.impl.SamlHandlerIT.test_setup  Time
elapsed: 17.603 s  <<< ERROR!
org.ops4j.pax.swissbox.tracker.ServiceLookupException: gave up waiting for
service org.apache.sling.auth.core.spi.AuthenticationHandler

I can get reference using @Filter(value = "(authtype=FORM)")

Is there a way to get a list of bundle status from the PAX instance?