Hi Carsten,

On Sat, 2021-12-04 at 15:06 +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm fine with whatever solution we can agree on, however if we
> promote a
> docker based solution we increase the requirements (installed tools)
> be able to run the starter. Now, I guess everyone will now tell me
> that
> everyone else has docker installed anyway but some users might have
> challenges with that.

Right, questioning whether requiring Docker/Podman/etc really is simple
for our users is a good point.

I'll try and gather some data around that. There are some developer
surveys floating around (Stackoverflow, ZeroTurnaround, JetBrains),
I'll try and check if they have data on Docker usage for development.
If you have something in particular in mind as a target group, let me
know.

The main reason I think containers are easier to run compared to Java
applications is that we historically don't support new JRE versions
immediately due to our slow release cycle, which is problematic for
users who run on the latest version, either by intention or by accident
(auto-updaters).

Thanks,