On Mon, 2021-12-06 at 10:28 +0100, Robert Munteanu wrote:
> Hi Carsten,
>
> On Sat, 2021-12-04 at 15:06 +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm fine with whatever solution we can agree on, however if we
> > promote a
> > docker based solution we increase the requirements (installed tools)
> > be able to run the starter. Now, I guess everyone will now tell me
> > that
> > everyone else has docker installed anyway but some users might have
> > challenges with that.
>
> Right, questioning whether requiring Docker/Podman/etc really is simple
> for our users is a good point.
>
> I'll try and gather some data around that. There are some developer
> surveys floating around (Stackoverflow, ZeroTurnaround, JetBrains),
> I'll try and check if they have data on Docker usage for development.
> If you have something in particular in mind as a target group, let me
> know.

I added some points to [1]. Briefly, besides the 'we probably don't
support the latest JVM' argument, it looks like Docker is available to
a majority of users. There is no hard data on whether this is more
available more than 'the right JVM version'.

Thanks,
Robert

[1]:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SLING/Recommend+mechanism+for+launching+the+feature-model+based+Starter#RecommendmechanismforlaunchingthefeaturemodelbasedStarter-JavavsContainers