On Wed, 2022-06-15 at 17:10 +0200, Konrad Windszus wrote:
> Hi,
> AFAIK all our Sling bundles still target Java 8. I think for major
> feature updates we could increase this to Java 11 to leverage the
> newly introduced features
> (https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/java-11-features-and-comparison/,
> https://ondro.inginea.eu/index.php/new-features-in-java-versions-since-java-8/
> , …)
>
> As official support (except for extended support) for Java 8 from
> Oracle has expired
> (https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/java-se-support-roadmap.htm
> l) I think it is time now to do the shift.
> WDYT?
>
> As in general we don’t maintain multiple parallel branches, this
> would obviously have an impact on all consumers.
> Do you know of Sling bundle consumers who cannot update to Java 11
> yet?

Disclaimer: not speaking with my Adobe hat on, just tried to infer
information from publically available sources.

The Adobe technical support period docs [1] say that AEM 6.3 and 6.4
are out of 'core support' but into 'extended support'. AEM 6.5 is still
supported.

AEM 6.4 only supports running on Java 8 [2]. I can't find the
documentation for 6.3, but it's very unlikely that it will support Java
11. AEM 6.5 supports both Java 8 and 11[3] .

With that, I am cautiously optimistic that AEM is not a blocker for
switching to Java 11.

There are still some technical blockers to moving to Java 11 by
default, mostly projects using old parent poms, see SLING-8728 [4].

We have been chipping at this issue for some time, and Ashok has
recently started migrating more projects, but there is still some work
to do.

Thanks,
Robert

[1]: https://helpx.adobe.com/support/programs/eol-matrix.html