when looking in the wiki i found another page [1] with some thoughts on multi
tenancy from a mailing list discussion from february [2]

from this i get we have two quite different scenarios although they have a
shared part:

* the "fully isolated tenant" scenario
- tenants are fully isolated and have their own script (overlay) path, own
users, own i18n etc.
- as described in [1]
- the existing tenant implementation targets on this scenario as well, but does
currently fulfill only part of the requirements from [1]

* the "manage multiple tenants" scenario
- a set of users (editors, admins etc.) manages a set of tenants with n-to-m
relation between users and tenants
- providing script overlays and admin separation is not that important, but
configuration and content separation

it think both scenarios can be handled with a single (flexible/customizable)
implementation, but both have their own complexities not relevant for the
other. so when starting a wiki page we have to respect both scenarios.

stefan

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SLING/Multitenancy+Support+Integration
[2]