Hi,

I'm working on various experiments (like [1]) related to continuous
deployment with Sling, and having a clearer definition of the various
roles of the content that a typical Sling applications manages would
help. I'm saying "roles" instead of "types" on purpose, to avoid
confusion with Content-Type ;-)

There's a lot of ties between this and our recent discussions about
multi-tenancy, so refining this tentative list of roles might help for
that as well.

Does this list fit with your use cases? Do people see other roles?

My context is a number of Sling instances sharing a common content repository.

Deliverable content:
Displayed on a website or mobile app for example.
Can be global, shared between a group of tenants or tenant-specific.

System content:
Defines how a specific version of the system behaves.
Multiple system versions can coexist in a shared content repository
(as we demonstrated in [1], in a limited way)

Application content:
Extensions or overrides of system content, that modify how the system behaves.
Usually tenant-specific, or maybe shared between a group of tenants

Module state content:
The typical example is workflow models and state, which is not
deliverable but persistent and might be partially shared.

Instance-specific transient content:
Transient content that's relevant to a single Sling instance. Compiled
scripts, for example.
Not needed when the Sling instance starts.

WDYT?

-Bertrand

[1] https://github.com/ArtyomStetsenko/sling-devops-experiments