>But do you have queries across resource providers? Do you know the
>implementation complexity and performance limitations you are asking for?

no, i never required searching across different providers in the past, it would
even be ok for me to not support cross-provider searching in the beginning to
keep things simple.

>"Choosing the most performent query" is absolutely non trivial. And it
>requires your resource provider implementation to be able to ask it's
>underlying database/repository to figure that out (before you translate to the
>particular query itself). Here you'll have tons of places where the
>abstraction will leak and/or you can't get the right performance.

the idea is that there is one resource provider impl per backend, so each
provider does only have to know the specialities of it's backend. but ok
concerning JCR there are already two underlying implementations with JCR2 and
oak. i agree that this is an absolutely nontrivial task and should not be part
of a first implementation as well.

stefan