@Alex,

Sorting wouldn't necessarily be slow.  What you could do is have the API
return an iterator which wraps the sorted result iterator from the various
resource providers.  This iterator would keep track of the next value of
the iterator from every resource provider result and return the closest
value for every next call of the wrapping iterator.  This should result in
performance of approximately On where n is the number of resource providers
for each next call.

In the case where sorting isn't provided, I would think it would just
interleave the results from the various resource providers.

-Dan