On Mon, 2015-07-20 at 15:12 +0200, Oliver Lietz wrote:
> On Monday 20 July 2015 15:45:14 Robert Munteanu wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> hi Robert,
>
> > It's unclear to me how to handle a release vote when the artifacts
> > are
> > changed during the vote. E.g.
> >
> > - start release on 2015-04-01
> > - a problem is discovered on 2015-04-02
> > - the problem is fixed on 2015-04-03
> >
> > Is it OK to continue with the vote or do we mandate that the vote
> > is
> > cancelled?
>
> we really should cancel and start over.
>
> > If we decide it's OK to continue with the vote we also need to
> > decide
> > what to do with:
> >
> > - +1 votes on the previous artifacts ( probably ignore )
> > - -1 votes on the previous artifacts ( probably keep as vetos
> > unless
> > the voter withdraws/recasts the vote )
> > - the duration of the vote ( probably restart the 72 hours count )
>
> all your points +1, but I prefer to cancel (though I didn't asked for
> last
> week).

Ack, whatever the outcome of this discussion is should not affect votes
in progress.

> > I don't have a very strong opinion about this, but I would be less
> > confused if releases were immutable :-) and any change of the
> > artifacts
> > under vote would mean cancelling the vote and starting a new one.
> > But
> > I'm happy to do what works for everyone, given what we have clear
> > rules
> > for it.
>
> +1
>
> And using a dedicated repo per artifact means less work if only one
> of a bunch
> fails.

I actually think for 'Scripting releases' vote started by Radu this was
the right way to approach it. There are 4 artifacts that were changed
to support a certain use case, and they are linked together with
dependencies.

If Radu would've staged 4 linked releases it would mean 4 votes with at
least a 4x72 hours wait. With a single aggregate release we would
ideally get a single 72h wait and in the worst realistic scenario a
2x72h wait due to a vote being cancelled and a second vote being staged
to address the objections brought up when the first release was staged.

> One more point: versions - reuse or increase?
> Although versions are cheap for us, it confuses our users when
> versions are
> "missing". It's even more confusing that AEM 6.1 uses Sling i18n
> 2.4.0 which
> was _not_ released. So I'm for reusing here.

+1 for reusing versions on cancelled votes.