Hi,
> Am 26.05.2016 um 14:36 schrieb Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Konrad Windszus <konra...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> ...there was quite a discussion going on in
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-5603 on how
>> to deal with 3rd party dependencies in Sling....
>
> My opinion, and I think this is what we've been doing in Sling forever
> even if we didn't explicitly document it, is that if a bundle B
> depends on another *for its API* then the dependency should list the
> lowest possible version.
What do you mean by its API? In SLING-5603 we were talking about a dependency
in the API Provider (Validation Core), not the API bundle itself.

> This makes B easier to use in many contexts, as long as the right
> version of the API, or a later one, is provided.
>
>> ...Another aspect of option a) is: With which version of the dependency you
>> want to run the IT....
>
> This is the "recommented implementation" aspect of the dependency,
> which is a different concern.
>
> For this I suggest using the latest version of the implementation, or
> at least the one that we recommend.
If we don’t test with the minimum version we depend on (and which determines
the import-package version range) the risk for depending on an non-working
library version is IMHO much too high. Therefore I would recommend to test with
that minimum version. Testing the recommended or latest version does give less
confidence that the bundle B really works with the lower version of the
dependency.