For setting up Sling from scratch, I guess it would make sense to share
my list of bundles; I assembled it roughly a year ago and I didn't
update it since then. I'll go through this exercise and once I have
something I'll share it with the larger audience.

Jason E Bailey wrote

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2018, at 3:25 PM, Dominik Süß wrote:
>> Hi Jason,
>>
>> What beyond the ‚engine‘ is actually required?
>
> I think that's the entire point that I'm trying to make. I don't actually
> know, and if you are coming to the website there really isn't a way for you
> to know what is or isn't needed if you are attempting to set up Sling from
> scratch. Carsten's comment was one of the most educational I've seen so far
> as to what needs to be set up.
>
>> And even the engine is not required to use some sling bundles.
>
> Interesting question that, if you are using bundles from Sling without using
> the Sling engine, are you really using Sling?
>
>> The axis of interest are maintenance commitment (indicating commitment of
>> active committers for module - staring as contribution and ending orphaned)
>> and maturity (experimental, alpha, beta, production ready/ stable ,
>> deprecated, maybe discontinued)
>
> That is your interpretation and I'm not sure if that matches other peoples
> definitions. Bertrand has implied that the level of support is not dependent
> on the number of committers but on whether the PMC decides via a vote whether
> a bundle should be supported i.e. not a contrib. That was my takeaway at
> least.
>
> My goal may also be slightly different from the conversation around
> indicating the deprecated bundles.
>
> I have had an issue with this page for a long time
> https://sling.apache.org/downloads.cgi
>
> It's awful, It conveys very little information, If I have a bundle id I can't
> find it here, I don't see why a bundle listed here should be used or not.
> I'm hoping these categorizations and tags can be utilized here to better
> segment what I'm looking at. So that it provides context.
>
> -Jason

Adobe Research Switzerland