I would  rather prefer to get rid of a server side postprocessing like the
rewriter. For HTL I agree with Carsten, we should probably look into a generic
link rewriting mechanism which allows for custom rewriting with a nice HTL
plugin. Much less overhead than a Cocoon pipeline which needs to deserialize
and then serialize again...
Would be interesting to get forward in that regard with Sling 12.

For JSON and client side rendering the link rewriting must be rather
encapsulated on the client side as well. I don’t think Sling should provide
that functionality as Sling is focusing on the server side.
Konrad