For the maven-plugins let us rely on the generated site (which evaluates
javadoc and other metainformation already nicely) and allows to use MD for
additional pages.
I prefer that for maven-plugins over a big readme as generating the site is a
no-brainer during the release and has a standard format every developer knows.

Konrad