> I did mean that we should be pushing the tags as well as their associated
> commits.

You can even edit them by hand so you can definitely have references
pointing at void...

I already expressed my opinion on the matter but I won't object if you wish
to do it. The problem I see is that it's really easy to break things in a
catastrophic way by force-pushing refs or by pushing refs that shouldn't be
copied - it's not hard, but it's easy to make a mistake. I'd try out ten
times on a bare test clone somewhere before actually doing it on the target
git repository.

But it is definitely doable. Git repositories are conceptually very simple
- just a graph of commits and tags/ labels.

Dawid