I'm all for standardizing on v2 (or something like it) but one key concern
I have is that when the only access I have to a client's server is via a
web browser, possibly from a machine they control and on which I can't
install tools, I'd like the only barrier to my running necessary admin
commands is their (hopefully) configured security controls
(RBAC/JWT/whatever). It's a loss of functionality if a REST client program,
plugin or curl is *required*. Those tools are good things, but the ability
to fully control solr directly from a browser (if properly authenticated)
is a good feature we shouldn't lose.

Presently JSON based commands can be issued in the "documents" page, but
some attention should be given to make sure we don't lose or even maybe
enhance/rename that interface. Obviously, in the near future V1 will
remain, but if deprecated, the implication is that someday (10.0? 11.0? it
might go away).