On 6/17/22 18:21, Noble Paul wrote:

Is there a need to make it easier to invoke POST/PUT/DELETE methods ? absolutely yes.

But, that should be a separate effort. Most likely , we would keep the V1 API around for a while and users could resort to those APIs if they wish to. However, the discussion is around whether we should migrate our documentation and clients to use V2 as a de-facto interface

I hope I am not misunderstood.

I absolutely think we should fully embrace proper HTTP verb usage in v2 and document it extensively.  And I think the API should use request bodies wherever that is appropriate, regardless of whether that impacts the ability for people to craft URLs for a browser using the v2 API directly.

I just want to be sure that users still have a way to send somebody a URL that accomplishes certain tasks right in the browser.  The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the admin UI being a vehicle to make this possible.  I don't think we need to necessarily expose ALL of the API in this way.  I like the idea Eric came up with for a page in the UI that allows arbitrary requests.  My two cents on that:  Have it ask for an HTTP verb, a URL path, provide a way to add URL parameters, and a place to put a body for the request if the verb is a type that generally allows a body.  Maybe have some buttons that pre-fill the page for certain types of requests.

As an example that the admin UI has right now, this is the URL I ended up on after I asked the admin UI to do a query on the Solr server that I manage for myself:

http://localhost:8983/solr/#/dovecot/query?q=body:solr&q.op=OR&indent=true&facet=true&facet.field=user

The admin UI takes that and converts it to the following, executes it, and shows the results in the UI:

http://localhost:8983/solr/dovecot/select?facet.field=user&facet=true&indent=true&q.op=OR&q=body%3Asolr

I am pretty sure this happens entirely in the javascript that the browser runs.

Something similar could be done for any other request that users might commonly want to share as a URL.

Implementing this certainly won't be a small undertaking.  I am willing to help, but I have to caution that my html/css/javascript skills are not extensive.

Thanks,
Shawn