I completely understand your concern and frustration for the
solrj-zookeeper PR David, it's been in the works for a while, and these
refactorings are very hard on you and the contributor you are working with.

Eric and I talked, and given that there are very few giant PRs that are in
progress, we agreed this work can likely continue after the solrj-zookeeper
PR is merged.

Going forward though, I think the strategy is going to be to attack
package-by-package (addressing all issues in that package), instead of
intelliJ issue by intelliJ issue (addressing all packages at the same
time). That way, the PRs are confined to a specific area, so for example
the solrj-zookeeper work would be unaffected unless Eric decided to tackle
the solrj packages, which he could obviously postpone.

I think we can all agree that the Solr codebase can be a mess, and things
are not always done the way that they should be. Projects need maintenance
in order to survive. I think it's great that Eric is putting in tremendous
time and effort in order to improve the project in a pretty thankless way.

Anyways happy to entertain further discussion on the topic, but I think the
new strategy is the best compromise of moving forward without making things
hard for others trying to contribute.

- Houston