> I think it likely means that the intended benefit of filterCache, which is
> the caching of fqs, is not happening because those cache entries will be
> evicted almost as soon as they are created.

Yes, that's what I suspect is happening.

Another problem with having q in the filterCache is that if your newSearcher is
doing autowarming on some number of filterCache entries, it will be doing
warming on q entries. This could be quite a bit of unnecessary work.

> I wonder if maybe it would be a good idea to have a facetCache in addition to
> filterCache.  Same K,V as filterCache in the code, but entirely separate so
> it does not interfere with caching of filters and can have a different
> definition.

That would make a lot of sense to me.

Short of that, wouldn't it make sense for facets to put the q in the
queryResultsCache, not the filterCache?

Whatever comes of this, the docs could use some updates and clarifications, and
especially discussion of tuning filterCache. I've started a ticket for that
task, both as placeholder for the work, and as a place to aggregate notes and
thoughts for when it gets done.

Andy