> I do think that the docs filterCache refguide [1] could be updated to
> be more explicit about all the possible cases that use the
> filterCache, and I'd be happy to help with that.

Thanks, I appreciate it. If you would, please make yourself a watcher on the
ticket I started for the task: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-16554

> But I think
> super-high-level I'd start by trying to size filterCache according to
> what it _actually_ uses, rather than size it according to what I think
> it _should_ use and then adjust the underlying implementation to
> conform to that.

Absolutely. I'm not trying to change anything, assuming the behavior was
intentional. I just wanted to 1) make sure it was expected behavior, and 2)
understand so that I can 3) update the docs to make these things clearer.

That's why I titled this "Why does..."  Although I guess these days on the
internet "Why does this happen" can be read as  "I don't like that this happens
and I think it is wrong."

Thanks,
Andy