Daryl C. W. O'Shea writes:
> Michael Parker wrote:
> > Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
>
> >> Are the hit-rates of the lists high enough that the results that aren't
> >> cached by the use of --reuse low enough to fall under the block
> >> triggering level?  Either way, I guess we should get around to figuring
> >> out a way of caching the non-hits.  I'm thinking of a method that
> >> assumes you ran the rules (based on the SA version in the message
> >> header) unless you've specifically told it you don't run a particular rule.
>
> > --reuse should take care of this.  Everyone should save their X-Spam-*
> > headers in their corpus msgs. Reuse sets the rule score to zero so for
> > msgs that it didn't hit, and still have their X-Spam-Status header
> > present we shouldn't be doing any sort of lookup.
>
> Ah, that's right, thanks.  For some reason I was thinking that any
> message that didn't previously have a hit recorded would have the tests run.
>
> > Maybe we should add a --force-reuse that would ignore any msgs that
> > can't be reused.
>
> I'm thinking that should be the only option for reuse.

+1 That sounds like a very good idea.  Well, at least, let's get an idea
of how many mass-check lines we lose, and we can make a more informed
decision at that point; but I'm pretty sure we should be doing this. even
if we lose 50% of the hits, we'll get a much more accurate picture of the
real accuracy of those rules.

the SpamAssassin.org spamtraps don't record network rule hits, but I don't
rely entirely on those in my mass-checks anyway.   Most of my personal
spamtrap addresses are run through my normal mail account and are
scanned.

PS: by the way, I wouldn't worry too much (yet) about doing more frequent
--net mass-checks to generate new network-rule scores.  That's certainly
going to be trickier than the non-net variant, and the latter is more
important to start with. ;)

PPS: good point about Spamhaus... 100 user limit is tiny!  We may
indeed have to do something about that, but I agree with Daryl; the
Spamhaus rules are very accurate.

Could you open a bug, and let's see if we can get some discussion
underway...

--j.