I still have to dig into the Tinkerpop3 internals (I started my work long
before it had been released), but I can say that to get the Tinerpop2
Gremlin pipeline to work in the GraphX was a bit of a hack. The
whole Tinkerpop2 Gremlin design was based around streaming pipes of
data, rather then large distributed map-reduce operations. I had to hack
the pipes to aggregate all of the data and pass a single object wrapping
the GraphX RDDs down the pipes in a single go, rather then streaming it
element by element.
Just based on their description, Tinkerpop3 may be more amenable to the
Spark platform.

Kyle