From: Kyle Ellrott <kellr...@soe.ucsc.edu<mailto:kellr...@soe.ucsc.edu>>
Date: Friday, November 7, 2014 at 10:59 AM
To: Reynold Xin <r...@databricks.com<mailto:r...@databricks.com>>
Cc: "York, Brennon"
<brennon.y...@capitalone.com<mailto:brennon.y...@capitalone.com>>, Kushal Datta
<kushal.da...@gmail.com<mailto:kushal.da...@gmail.com>>,
"dev@spark.apache.org<mailto:dev@spark.apache.org>"
<dev@spark.apache.org<mailto:dev@spark.apache.org>>, Matthias Broecheler
<matth...@thinkaurelius.com<mailto:matth...@thinkaurelius.com>>
Subject: Re: Implementing TinkerPop on top of GraphX

Who here would be interested in helping to work on an implementation of the
Tikerpop3 Gremlin API for Spark? Is this something that should continue in the
Spark discussion group, or should it migrate to the Gremlin message group?

Reynold is right that there will be inherent mismatches in the APIs, and there
will need to be some discussions with the GraphX group about the best way to
go. One example would be edge ids. GraphX has vertex ids, but no explicit edges
ids, while Gremlin has both. Edge ids could be put into the attr field, but
then that means the user would have to explicitly subclass their edge attribute
to the edge attribute interface. Is that worth doing, versus adding an id to
everyones's edges?

Kyle

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 7:24 PM, Reynold Xin