I like the idea of having design docs be kept up to date and tracked in
git.

If the Apache repo isn't a good fit, perhaps we can have a separate repo
just for design docs? Maybe something like github.com/spark-docs/spark-docs/
?

If there's other stuff we want to track but haven't, perhaps we can
generalize the purpose of the repo a bit and rename it accordingly (e.g.
spark-misc/spark-misc).

Nick