I know I recently used Google Docs from a JIRA, so am guilty as
charged. I don't think there are a lot of design docs in general, but
the ones I've seen have simply pushed docs to a JIRA. (I did the same,
mirroring PDFs of the Google Doc.) I don't think this is hard to
follow.

I think you can do what you like: make a JIRA and attach files. Make a
WIP PR and attach your notes. Make a Google Doc if you're feeling
transgressive.

I don't see much of a problem to solve here. In practice there are
plenty of workable options, all of which are mainstream, and so I do
not see an argument that somehow this is solved by letting people make
wikis.