I tend to find that any large project has a lot of walking dead JIRAs, and
pretending they are simply Open causes problems. Any state is better for
these, so I favor this.

The possible objection is that this will squash or hide useful issues, but
in practice we have the opposite problem. Resolved issues are still
searchable by default, and, people aren't shy about opening duplicates
anyway. At least the semantics Later do not discourage a diligent searcher
from considering commenting on and reopening such an archived JIRA.

Patrick this could piggy back on INFRA-9513.

As a corollary I would welcome deciding that Target Version should be used
more narrowly to mean 'I really mean to help resolve this for the indicated
version'. Setting it to a future version just to mean Later should instead
turn into resolving the JIRA.

Last: if JIRAs are regularly ice-boxed this way, I think it should trigger
some reflection. Why are these JIRAs going nowhere? For completely normal
reasons or does it mean too many TODOs are filed and forgotten? That's no
comment on the current state, just something to watch.

So: yes I like the idea.