I agree it's worth informing Mesos devs and checking that there are no
big objections. I presume Shivaram is plugged in enough to Mesos that
there won't be any surprises there, and that the project would also
agree with moving this Spark-specific bit out. they may also want to
leave a pointer to the new location in the mesos repo of course.

I don't think it is something that requires a formal vote. It's not a
question of ownership -- neither Apache nor the project PMC owns the
code. I don't think it's different from retiring or removing any other
code.