My friends and I are continuing work on the algorithm. You are right that
there are two elements to Friedman's glmnet algorithm. One is the use of
coordinate descent for minimizing penalized regression with an absolute value
penalty and the other is managing the regularization parameters. Friedmans
algorithm does return the the entire regularization path. We have had to get
fairly deep into the mechanics of linear algebra. The tricky part has been
arranging the matrix and vector multiplications to minimize the compute times -
(e.g. big time differences between multiplying by a submatrix versus
mulbiplying by the columns in the submatrix, etc. )

All of the versions we've produced generate a multitude of solutions (default =
100) for a range of different values of the regularization parameter. The
solutions always cover the most heavily penalized end of the curve. The number
of solutions generated depends on how fine the steps are and how close the
solutions get to the fully saturated (un-penalized) solution. Default values
for these work about 80% of the time.

Personally, i've always found it useful to have the entire regularization path.
One way or another, that's always required to get a final solution. It's just a
question of whether the points on the path are generated by hunting and pecking
or done all in one shot systematically.
mike