Generating / defining an RDDis not the same thing as running the
compute() method of an rdd .  The direct stream definitely runs kafka
consumers on the executors.

If you want more info, the blog post and video linked from
https://github.com/koeninger/kafka-exactly-once refers to the 0.8
implementation, but the general design is similar for the 0.10
version.

I think the likelihood of an official release supporting 0.9 is fairly
slim at this point, it's a year out of date and wouldn't be a drop-in
dependency change.