What finer "high level" goals do you recommend? To make progress on the
vote, it would be great if you can articulate more. Current SPIP proposes
two high-level changes to make Spark accelerator-aware:

   - At cluster manager level, we update or upgrade cluster managers to
   include GPU support. Then we expose user interfaces for Spark to request
   GPUs from them.
   - Within Spark, we update its scheduler to understand available GPUs
   allocated to executors, user task requests, and assign GPUs to tasks
   properly.

How do you want to change or refine them? I saw you raised questions around
Horovod requirements and GPU/memory allocation. But there are tens of
questions at the same or even higher level. E.g., in preparing the
companion scoping doc we saw the following questions:

* How to test GPU support on Jenkins?
* Does the solution proposed also work for FPGA? What are the diffs?
* How to make standalone workers auto-discover GPU resources?
* Do we want to allow users to request GPU resources in Pandas UDF?
* How does user pass the GPU requests to K8s, spark-submit command-line or
pod template?
* Do we create a separate queue for GPU task scheduling so it doesn't cause
regression on normal jobs?
* How to monitor the utilization of GPU? At what levels?
* Do we want to support GPU-backed physical operators?
* Do we allow users to request both non-default number of CPUs and GPUs?
* ...

IMHO, we cannot nor we should answer questions at this level in this vote.
The vote is majorly on whether we should make Spark accelerator-aware to
help unify big data and AI solutions, specifically whether Spark should
provide proper support to deep learning model training and inference where
accelerators are essential. My +1 vote is based on the following logic:

* It is important for Spark to become the de facto solution in connecting
big data and AI.
* The work is doable given the design sketch and the early
investigation/scoping.

To me, "-1" means either it is not important for Spark to support such use
cases or we certainly cannot afford to implement such support. This is my
understanding of the SPIP and the vote. It would be great if you can
elaborate what changes you want to make or what answers you want to see.

On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 11:13 PM Felix Cheung <felixcheun...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Once again, I’d have to agree with Sean.
>
> Let’s table the meaning of SPIP for another time, say. I think a few of us
> are trying to understand what does “accelerator resource aware” mean.

As far as I know, no one is discussing API here. But on google doc, JIRA