It sounds like there's a discussion about the details coming, which is
fine and good. That should maybe also have a VOTE. The debate here is
then merely about what and when to call things a SPIP, but that's not
important.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 10:23 AM Xiangrui Meng <men...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the two requires more discussion are Mesos and K8s. Let me follow
> what I suggested above and try to answer two questions for each:
>
> Mesos:
> * Is it important? There are certainly Spark/Mesos users but the overall
> usage is going downhill. See the attached Google Trend snapshot.
> * How to implement it? I believe it is doable, similarly to other cluster
> managers. However, we need to find someone from our community to do the work.
> If we cannot find such a person, it would indicate that the feature is not
> that important.

I don't think that was the issue that was raised; I don't advocate for
investing more in supporting this cluster manager, myself.
The issue was that we _already_ have support for allocating GPUs in
Mesos. Whatever limited support is there, presumably, doesn't get
removed. It merely needs to be attached to whatever new mechanisms are
implemented. I only pushed back on the idea that it should be ignored
and (presumably) left as a separate unrelated implementation.

> You see that such discussions can be done in parallel. It is not efficient if
> we block the work on K8s because we cannot decide whether we should support
> Mesos.

Is the question blocking anything? An answer is: let's say we just
make whatever support in Mesos exists still works coherently with the
new mechanism, whatever those details may be. Is there any
disagreement on that out there? I agree with you in that I think it
shouldn't have been ruled out at this stage, per earlier comments.
This doesn't seem hard to answer as a question of scope even now.