Now wait... we created a regression in 2.4.0. Arguably, we should have
blocked that release until we had a fix; but the issue came up late in the
release process and it looks to me like there wasn't an adequate fix
immediately available, so we did something bad and released 2.4.0 with a
known regression. Saying that there is now no regression from 2.4 is
tautological and no excuse for not taking in a fix -- and it looks like
that fix has been waiting for months.