Woah, weird, but definitely good to know.

If you’re doing Spark development, there’s also a more convenient option added
by Shivaram in the master branch. You can do sbt assemble-deps to package
*just* the dependencies of each project in a special assembly JAR, and then use
sbt compile to update the code. This will use the classes directly out of the
target/scala-2.9.3/classes directories. You have to redo assemble-deps only if
your external dependencies change.

Matei