Matei, sorry if I was unclear:  I'm referring to downstream operating system
distributions (like Fedora or Debian) that  have policies requiring that all
packages are built from source (using only tools already packaged in the
distribution).  So end-users (and distributions with different policies) don't
have to build Lift to get the lift-json artifact, but it is a concern for many
open-source communities.

best,
wb