I think #2 sounds totally reasonable (and low-noise). I think we've been
pretty good in the past about making sure dev discussion has happened on
the dev@ mailing list, but there were definitely exceptions simply because
not everyone may have realized that this was the policy.

One mechanism which may help this is to create an alias on GitHub called
sparkdev or something so we can explicitly CC dev@ from GitHub, if the
discussion becomes relevant.