On Aug 30, 2012, at 8:00 PM, C. Bergström wrote:

> On 08/31/12 06:43 AM, Liviu Nicoara wrote:
>> While I recognize the value of each one of the points you make, I am puzzled
>> as to why you are not going forward on your way with your fork? How is the
>> Apache Foundation keeping you from making progress on your use of the
>> library?
> For our use it's not and I welcome any patches/help.
>
> It may be missed opportunity for getting a larger userbase and a moot point
> anyway.  Specifically FBSD - When trying to push it as part of c++ stack
> replacement or part of ports the only objection I got was licensing related.
> (At this point they could also argue missing c++11 support)  [...]

IIUC, you would want to see STDCXX getting more exposure; one such avenue would
involve having it used in FreeBSD as a ports package, with an all permissive
BSD license.

> While STDCXX is at Apache it will never be BSD licensed.  Solution - move it
> away from Apache foundation and have them transfer some of the additional
> rights they received to allow recipient foundation to relicense.  I thought
> this would be a win for the project and everyone, but for some reason instead
> of opening a discussion to transfer - it's just death grip and pushing to the
> attic.

The fact that Rogue Wave agreed to release the STDCXX code back in 2005 is
nothing short of a miracle. IMHO, we are lucky to benefit from having had this
library released to the public, anyway.