I don't think anyone is claiming that there isn't a thread safety problem in
the locales. I'm open to the possibility, and I'm willing to review changes
that fix the problem, but I want some understanding of what the problem
actually is and how the changes actually address the problem before signing off.

I also find it hard to believe the changes to the facet cache (and many of the
other changes) are necessary to eliminate any data races that were reported by
these tools. Changing the cache size from 8 to 64 is _clearly_ not going to fix
a data race. It might reduce the likelihood of one occurring, but it isn't
going to fix it. I also fail to understand how not reducing the size of the
cache fixes a data race either. These changes all appear to be optimizations,
and as such, should _not_ be included in changes to fix thread-safety issues.

Perhaps we could go about this a different way. Test your code without the
changes to the facet cache changes in _C_manage and report back on what you
find. Or, perhaps more simply, provide minimal diffs (as required by the
patching process) to fix the data race issues that you've outlined.

> The real reason why they don't want to accept what the instrumentation
> tools are saying is very simple: they don't LIKE reading what the
> tools are saying. So, blame the tools, pretend that "as long as it
> doesn't crash again there's no bug" and hope for the best.

My previous e-mail attempted to indicate that I don't trust the output that
these tools have provided. I have no understanding of how the tool managed to
find a data race in __rw_allocate (or _C_manage). Do you? Doesn't this output
give you some doubt about the accuracy of the tool?

I have no problem using a tool to make my job easier. Sometimes those tools are
wrong. The two cases mentioned above call into question the accuracy of the
tool being used, and it is important to understand why those failures are being
seen (or why I am wrong about the given code being safe).

> But I am very glad this is on a public mailing list, so everyone can
> read what's going on here.

As am I.

I've raised concerns about the tools you're using to detect problems. I've
pointed out what I believe to be two false positives, and you've accused me of
being incompetent and afraid of what the tools are saying. You've offered no
explanation about these apparent false positives and you've not provided any
explanation for why you don't see similar false positives when you run the code
on the patched library.

I've raised concerns about some of the changes you've provided being
unnecessary to resolve the issue at hand (a thread safety issue) and labeled
them as optimizations (your original e-mail seemed to indicate you were under
the same impression). As Liviu pointed out, the bug fix changes should be
handled separately from the optimization. I wholeheartedly agree.

You called out premature optimization as evil, in a discussion about patches
you provided that include optimizations and no testcase showing that your
changes are not premature and provide measureable benefit. Then you rail on...

Then, to top it off, you go on to call me a know-it-all who isn't capable of
figuring out my own bugs.

I'm sorry, but that isn't acceptable.

Travis