On Sep 20, 2012, at 8:24 PM, Stefan Teleman wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Liviu Nicoara <nikko...@hates.ms> wrote:
>
>> That is not it, and you did not. Please pay attention: given your assertion
>> that a race condition is a defect that causes an abnormal execution of the
>> program during which the program sees abnormal, incorrect states (read:
>> variable values) it should be easy for you to craft a program that shows
>> evidence of that by either printing those values, or aborting upon detecting
>> them, etc.
>
> Oh, I see.
> [...]
>
> And the means of proving the existence of these "real" race conditions
> is ... [ drum roll ] ... fprintf(3C)?
> This is very funny. You made my day,

I have not created this requirement out of thin air. STDCXX development has
functioned in this manner for as long as I remember. If it does not suit you,
that's fine.

Now, in all honesty, it is not too hard to do that. Once you can satisfactorily
explain to yourself what is wrong in the program, the creation of a test case
is trivial. Some multi-threading bugs are insidious and hard to reproduce, but
even then it's doable by isolating as little a portion of the codebase as
possible, as a standalone program, and trimming it until the failure becomes
easily reproducible.