Github user HeartSaVioR commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/338#issuecomment-66410673

    Sorry I don't know Kafka, but I feel that it's going weird.
    Relying on other component's internal is real things to avoid.
    Components try its best to keep compatibility with APIs, but not internal.
    Think about Kafka internal has changed. It means Storm-Kafka could only
support some version range. newer, or older. And it would be easily broken
again.

    How about requesting/contributing some new API that can check existence of
topic to Kafka project? If it's already exist but slow, we can find out why it
should be slow, from Kafka project.