Thanks Bobby.

I setup a local server and CLI, UI and my topology run fine. However there
is a feature that doesn't work and I need some help to figure out why.

1. I followed the instructions here to setup the storm system,
http://ptgoetz.github.io/blog/2013/12/18/running-apache-storm-on-windows/

2. My feature requires the usage of the CLI tool to re-balance the topology
when it needs more resources. For that I thought I could use the following
CLI command,

storm rebalance mytopology -n 5 -e blue-spout=3 -e yellow-bolt=10

I found this in the storm documentation at the bottom of this page:
http://storm.apache.org/documentation/Understanding-the-parallelism-of-a-Storm-topology.html

3. When I run this command in my setup, I get the error pasted below. Is
re-balancing supported at the spouts and bolts level? Am I using the wrong
version of the storm jar.

This works:
*C:\storm>storm rebalance WordCount -n 15*
*2493 [main] INFO  backtype.storm.thrift - Connecting to Nimbus at
localhost:6627*
*3573 [main] INFO  backtype.storm.command.rebalance - Topology WordCount is
rebalancing*

This does not work:
*C:\storm>storm rebalance WordCount -n 5 -e Count=10*
*Exception in thread "main" java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException:
String index out of range: -1*
*        at java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)*
*        at
backtype.storm.command.rebalance$parse_executor.invoke(rebalance.clj:24)*
*        at clojure.tools.cli$apply_specs.invoke(cli.clj:80)*
*        at clojure.tools.cli$cli.doInvoke(cli.clj:130)*
*        at clojure.lang.RestFn.invoke(RestFn.java:460)*
*        at
backtype.storm.command.rebalance$_main.doInvoke(rebalance.clj:31)*
*        at clojure.lang.RestFn.applyTo(RestFn.java:137)*
*        at backtype.storm.command.rebalance.main(Unknown Source)*

Thanks,
Harsha

*Contact Details: *
Harsha Balasubramanian
Graduate Student at University of Toronto
Masters in Computer Science

Mobile : 647-771-3596
Email 1: harsha...@cs.toronto.edu
Email 2: harsha...@gmail.com
LinkedIn : ca.linkedin.com/in/harshabala/