Github user chawco commented on the issue:

    So, there's some ambiguity in place here that would need to get resolved.
Basically, there's two sources for InterruptedException/InterruptedIOException
-- one from Storm itself, and one from the user's code (See:
[STORM-2194](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-2194) If we want to
have different behaviour from these two sources we do need some solution to
disambiguate the uses.

    Basically, the problem is this: If anything in the user's thread raises
these exceptions, the executor thread will terminate *but the worker will not*.
This leaves the entire topology in a zombified state. I find it difficult to
see that this behaviour is "as intended".

    @revans2 can you suggest a way we can disambiguate between Storm initiated
and user initiated exceptions here? I'm having a real tough time thinking how
we could accomplish that. Alternatively, can you propose an alternate
implementation for signalling this shutdown? I'm happy to take on that work to
make things shutdown in a more appropriate manner, as long as we get to fix
this zombie topology behaviour.