Github user revans2 commented on the issue:

    @chawco

    Okay so I understand the issue better now. SocketTimeoutException is a
subclass of InterruptedIOException.

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/net/SocketTimeoutException.html

    I could argue that it is a mistake on the part of java and that it is
wrong, but that is already set in stone so we have to deal with it.

    I see two options.

    1) We can treat a SocketTimeoutException differently from other
InterruptedIOExceptions,
    2) or we can just treat all InterruptedIOExceptions as fatal.

    We started ignoring InterruptedIOExceptions because we would occasionally
run into them in the supervisor or nimbus local cluster tests and that would
fail everything.  Having proper behavior is more important than having super
stable unit tests, but if we can have both (option 1) I think that would be
best.