Github user ptgoetz commented on the issue:

    @erikdw Of course! This needs to be documented, and if accepted (or likely
to be), I will do so. But if there's community consensus around NOT accepting
this patch, I'd rather not waste the effort.

    This only addresses the sub tasks of STORM-2153 that are marked "in
progress."

    The other issues, particularly the RocksDb, is likely off the table for
now, since RocksDb is now considered category x (on a side note, a number of
Apache projects like Kafka and flink are in for some hurt in that respect,
since they will likely have to migrate grate off of RocksDb very shortly).

    As far as your other question, aggregation is left to the destination
metrics system. The individual metrics are namespaced with topology, host,
port, etc. that uniquely identify each event down to the component/executor
level. The namespace uses dot (".") notation to make it easy for tools to parse.

    You can effectively disable this feature by not registering any reporters.
The metrics objects will still be there, but there will be no reporters doing
anything with them. If would be a fairly simple optimization to only register
the metrics objects if there are one or more reporters registered. (IIRC this
was one for f the concerns you raised in one of the discussion threads...)

    @HeartSaVioR

    See above for some of your questions.

    This is an independent *alternative* to the existing metrics system. The
goal is to make things simpler. I think a lot of users have struggled with
storms built in metrics system, if they have approached it at all.