Github user ptgoetz commented on the issue:

     > @ptgoetz Suppose we deprecate the built-in metrics, are they deprecated
for public API or also Storm codebase? If we would want latter, we should have
alternative way to collect metrics (maybe internal metrics consumer?) and
represent to the UI.

    @HeartSaVioR
    I'd definitely deprecate the public API. One approach we could take for
potentially shipping metrics to nimbus would be to implement an additional
reporter that pushes them to some (non-RocksDB ;) ) data store for consumption
by Storm UI.