Hi Chamila,

Please find my comment inline.

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Chamila De Alwis <chami...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When creating a cartridge we set up the base image by specifying the
> stratos service name and installing the packages needed for that service
> using puppet. For example if we specify "php" as the service name PHP
> packages and its dependencies will be installed.

If we used "default" as service name it will install cartridge agent, java
and basic dependencies. So base cartridge is not bound to any service type.
it is a generic one.

> When a new instance is created from a PHP cartridge init.sh is run at the
> start. This also triggers the puppet agent.

Yes.

> What is the purpose of triggering puppet agent at instance start up? Is it
> only to find any manifest updates?

If use a generic cartridge image as "imageId" when deploying, puppet agent
will install required packages and dependencies. If use a service bound
cartridge image (PHP, MySQL, etc.), it will not update any packages or
dependencies but update the manifest updates as you mentioned such as ips
and ports of message broker and cep

--
*Dinesh Bandara*
Software Engineer